Palmetto Cheese & Smoked Salmon Appetizer- oh yes it is divine
This little snack has completely consumed me since last summer. Aunt Tina introduced me to Palmetto Cheese (never heard of it?, you are seriously getting cheated out of life) once upon a time at Lake Murray. We paired it last summer with Pretzel Crisps (original) and smoked salmon last summer at Lake Wateree and I have been in love ever since.
So much so, that I now buy the club size bag of Pretzel Crisps a month and a tub of Palmetto Cheese a week. Gluttonous? Yes Fattening? Strangely, no. I’ve eat this (almost) every day since Jan and I’ve actually LOST 14 pounds. I’ve also been doing yoga, so maybe its the chemical combination of the two combined. Either way, I am in love with this appetizer, which I just had for breakfast, and had for dinner last night- see? I am obsessed.
You’re hosting the cookout this year- don’t serve the same boring burgers everyone else does! Start a culinary revolution by twisting something old into something new.
Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers
8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1 1/3 pounds ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 hamburger buns
Sliced tomatoes and lettuce
Mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, onions, pickles (optional)
– Preheat grill to high.
– In a medium pan, brown bacon over medium high heat and drain on paper towel lined plate. Crumble when cool to touch. Divide bacon and cheese into 4 equal parts.
– Combine ground beef with Worcestershire and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Divide meat into 4 equal parts. Take 1/4 of the meat in your hand and make a well in the center of it. Pile in 1/4 of cheese and bacon, then carefully form the burger around the cheese and bacon filling. Make sure the fillings are completely covered with meat. When all four patties are formed, drizzle burgers with oil and place on hot grill.
– Cook for 2 minutes on each side over high heat, reduce heat to medium low and cook burgers for 7 to 8 minutes longer, turning occasionally. Do not press down on burgers as they cook. Transfer burgers to a plate and let them rest 5 minutes before serving.
– Assemble burgers, buns and your choice of condiments. As you bite into the burgers, you will find the cheesy-bacon surprise at the center. Makes 4 servings.
– Recipe by Rachel Ray (http://www.foodnetwork.com/)